by Jeanine Vecchiarelli return to JayVee Media Link LLC
We love pictures! They draw our eyes, offer a respite from line after line of written text, and make posts more interesting and attractive. They are our favorite part of any reading material, on or offline. There’s no getting away from the fact that we are visual animals!
Knowing this fact and capitalizing on it yield great benefits as we attempt to draw readers to our blog posts. There are a few things we can do to maximize the good pictures do for us:
- Choose appropriate pictures. Obviously, we want photos that are related to the subject we are covering. We don’t want to post pictures just for the sake of posting them, for that would risk confusing our readers.
- Get permission, and give proper credit! Other people’s pictures are their property. We wouldn’t steal someone’s personal property, right? Anytime we use pictures that are not our own, we need to make every effort to obtain permission for their use. And absolutely assign credit to the pictures’ owners.
- Don’t overdo! Remember the old saying, “Too much of a good thing…?” While pictures are a wonderful asset for our blogs, too many of them can be distracting. We want to complement our written efforts, not overwhelm them!
- Optimize those pictures. We may love pictures, but they are invisible to search engines, which can only scroll through text. We need to help our posted photos get noticed by optimizing them. When posting, we are given a chance to add alternate text. Take advantage by adding a short, keyword rich description of the pictures we are posting in that “alt text” box.
- Don’t forget to pin them! For those of us on Pinterest, pinning pictures from our posts is a great way to drive traffic back to our blog pages/websites! Don’t miss that opportunity!
Pictures are one of the most important ingredients we can use in our blog posts. Let’s take advantage of all the perks they offer!
How do you maximize the benefits pictures bring to YOUR posts? Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below!